Saturday, July 10, 2004

A blow to the pocket

Happens to most of us adolecent motorists.

It's the thing i couldn't dread more at a time like this.
Thanks to my complete and utter stupidity...

2 fines, one speeding and one transmission condition.

After coffee, Lam pushed for him to drive. I guess it was one of those situations where i just should've let him be.

As usual, i gave my sprinter a rev on the 4A-GE, 5th gear and i see someone is tailing me, but it the car wasn't accelerating to overtake me and i was doing 100 km/h in a 70 km/h zone.

It occured to me it might've been a cop car and before i knew it, there was blue and red lights all over the place.

I remembered being in a stage where i was shaking and my mind jumped all over the place. I was glad of all people Lam was there and he sparked a ciggy to ease my nerves.
The officer approached me and in the most calm and collected manner he asked me "how was you're evening sir?"

It was a highway patrol car, notorious for knowing ever trafffic law and being just plain arseholes. It didn't make the situation any easier on my part. I knew it. I got done. In a matter of weeks would've been on my full licence but it didn't look like it was gonna happen.

The officer continued, "Did you know you were going at a 100 in a 70 zone?" I replied "Yeh, i thought it was 80" and for some reason it sounded like the lamest way to weasel myself out of the situation.

Officer suprised by my stupid comment iterates that "Even if this was 80, you're still 100 over. I was tailing you."

One word buzzed through my mind.

"Laters."

My heart raced like never before. I was scared about my financials with my school fees, and upcoming birthday party... but that was the least of my concerns at that point considering i was more furious at myself than anything.

I thought to myself, "yep, this is it. I'm going to cop it, and i'm going to cop it nicely."

Then came what was worse and that scared me to the deepest recesses of my soul when the officer asked "Your licence says you drive automatic, but why are you driving manual?"

And i tried to explain it was pointless for me logically to get a manual licence test again when i turn full licence in a matter of months but needless to say it wasn't going to happen anymore.

He took my details and went back to his car, probably to check my background and Lam tried his best to comfort me.
It worked, and i thought to myself this serves as a reminder that thing's could be worse. I told him that i'd rather a fine than a crash that involved the injury of my friend. What he said stuck to me, which was "The hardest thing to do is smile, and you're smiling."

Felt at that point nearly all the stress and fear went away.

So all the new scenarios started to play out, taking public transport to Uni for the next 6 months, having the worse 21st party i can possibly throw, and having long conversations with the boys and being initiated into the club of those who've lost their licence. And i counted it up, and only Tuan and Allan would be the remainder. Strange procrastination but yeh.

The officer came back. My heart raced again, wat was a moment of bliss came to my judgement.
He handed me two sheets of that famous "pink" paper and said something that changed how thing's would go for the next 6 months.

"I've taken the speed down, so your licence won't be suspended" and my initial reaction was "HUH?!"

I must be dreaming. Am i having a delusion??

"I've taken the liberty of deducting your dimerit point on the auto technicality too."

I still couldn't believe what i was hearing.

Without thinking, i grabbed and shook his hand vigouriously. I said sorry so many times i couldn't count.
The poor idiot driving clearly over, and clearly in a position to lose his licence was shown mercy.
There was no doubt in my mind and Lams that i was fucked. Plain and simple. He was in no position to do what he did, but he did it.

Even now, as i write this 2 hours after the incident i'm sitting here trying to believe what just happend.

I got to keep my licence, pay a ... hefty but reasonable fine for my 3 second of speed.
Will i probably speed again? Probably... i thought to myself thank god i sold my turbo skyline and got that slow ass sprinter.

Thing's could always be worse.
I told Leone i had a feeling something really bad was going to happen to me next week. I guess i was on par again.

Guess i'll be staying at home more often now.

-Jay

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home